Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Magic the Gathering as a roleplaying tool

Once upon a time I discovered a new game at my very first game store I discovered a weird little game called Magic the Gathering something like twelve or more years ago. I've been into the game on and off since then and watched as the game has gone through stages. Some of the sets have fascinating plots and others have at best some good art.

What does this have to do with RPGs? Mostly as a source of inspiration, with ready made art from real artists to spawn descriptions. A cool picture or a good piece of fluff can spawn all sorts of ideas. However my favorite Magic sets see the older arts that didn't have a metaplot but just focused on describing a world. While I know WOTC created plot lines for many of these sets I'm focusing just on what is in the cards.

Where am I going with this? Well the magic set I got into the game with and that I'm trying to cheaply collect a full set of is Fallen Empires. Some of the concepts covered in this set really dovetails with my primary project for an old school roleplaying setting I call Bryn Mawr. As my setting is based on the concept of a land built on the ruins of a fallen magical empire. Sounds a lot like Fallen Empires to me. Now to just sit down and cycle through my collection and add details and ideas to my setting notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment